Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween at the House of Boo

I choose to recognise Halloween today. (31 Oct 2011)
I know that it is an American tradition.
I know that I am not American.
I know that it is the wrong season for my hemisphere.
I choose to relish my kids having fun dressing up. 
I choose to treat my neighbourhood's kids if they go to the trouble to dress up because their little faces are so happy to get a measly piece of chocolate. 
I choose it because I love an excuse to dress up and have FUN.
Traditionally the feast or holiday of Halloween (a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening), also known as Hallowe'en or All Hallows' Eve, is a yearly holiday observed on October 31, the night before All Saints' Day. Much like Day of the Dead celebrations, the Christian feast of All Hallows' Eve, according to some scholars, incorporates traditions from pagan harvest festivals and festivals honouring the dead, particularly the Celtic Samhain; other scholars maintain that the feast originated entirely independently of Samhain.

 

 
 

No comments: